Crochet · Dress · Fabric · knitting · Recycled

Crochet kaleidoscope

Many years ago I thought it would be a good idea to make a dress like this:

DSCF6189

It is an open crochet made from ends of balls donated by my lovely mother. Needless to say I only wore it once (with another dress underneath of course!)

I first got the idea when I saw a pattern for a crochet dress in an old magazine. It was made with a black sparkly yarn, and a much more closed fabric than mine.

DSCF6190

I would like to attempt such a project again with the knowledge I have gained since making this one. I would still crochet it as: 1. crochet is generally more stable and less likely to be worn out of shape than knitting 2. it is easier to try on the garment as you progress, making it more possible to alter for a better fit.

But in the mean time I have begun another project.

(Of course)

If you are a knitter who hasn’t yet tried linen stitch, then you really need to get onto that. Sure, its more time-consuming and harder to do without watching your knitting, but it makes for such a lovely texture. Compared to stocking stitch it is thicker and doesn’t curl at the edges. I have seen it done with one, two or three colours, or a variegated yarn, but never have I seen it done with an unlimited number of colours.

IMG_20150705_1653454902

Of course this meant that I had to try it.

Above is a test piece made from some more cotton scraps that were donated to the cause (thanks again Mum!) and it’s pretty much everything I dreamed it would be.

 

IMG_20150705_1653297562

Of course something with so many colours comes with twice as many ends.

Since these photos were taken I have undone the dress and begun work on a linen stitch singlet.

Because I select the colours at max 5 rows in advance it is coming out with sort of zoned striping. Something that I like the look of and will show to you in a later post. It is being knitted from the hem up, to give me time to think about how I want the collar and arm holes to be.

Originally I was going to knit it on the round, meaning I would only have to do knit rows and would be able to hide all the ends neatly inside. Though once I got started I realised that, silly me, this would be impossible to do. Changing colours every row means that the two edges would not hold together. I had two options: 1. overlap some of the colours to hold it together (though this could make the seam more obvious and messy) or 2. just knit it flat.

I chose the second option. And am glad I did because I realised that to put the shirt together all I have to do is braid the ends together instead of sewing the seam. Hopefully making a cool feature out of something that was going to be a problem.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s