For the past few months I have been working on my first Fair Isle project. A sweater vest for my wonderfully sartorial housemate. Thank you to Patons for the perfect pattern.
We picked out the colours together. He already has one sweater vest, a textured grey one that belonged to his grandfather, so we decided to give this one (more than) a little colour.
Pretty dapper right?
Yes, those are foxes on his socks too.
I did a bit of experimenting, combining the colours and patterns, before we were happy with how it would turn out.
Here is the before and after photo:
The biggest challenge with Fair Isle is getting the correct tension, which took a little time to get used to. But once I got in to it, the tension became second nature.
The next challenge came when I realised that changing the colours from those in the pattern means that I use more of some colours than others, so we had to get a couple extra balls to make up for this. This was more of an inconvenience than a problem, as the wool I used was the common Spotlight brand, which they had a lot of. But something to keep in mind for future projects.
Even the inside looks amazing, and I have already started thinking about a future project that uses this side as the right side, or maybe even something that is reversible.
All in all, an amazing result, and just in time for spring.